373 Micro Tower Scene

 For the Micro Tower Scene assignment our objective was to create a tower base with three toppers that would sit on top of the tower, meant for a tower defense game where the camera is top down at a 45 degree angle. These models will be UV'd ID'd and textured in substance painter, along with 4 low poly props of our choosing. Lastly, all models and textures will then be imported into unity to place in a scene where we utilize the terrain editor for the first time. Below are screenshots of the models in the Maya scene.



Overall my process throughout Maya went fairly smooth. I spent the most time trying to balance out the poly count between my tower base and all three toppers, so I'd meet the maximum requirement of 2500 (low poly) 5000 (high poly) and 500 per low poly prop. Creating the ID map before I went into painter was the last step. Shown Below are my ID maps for all my models, excluding the four props. 
This part of the project was actually the quickest however I ran into a bit more problems during it. Beginning with the baking process, for a good chunk of time I was trying to figure out how come my ID maps weren't showing, but rather my UVs were as shown below.


It took a bit of trial and error but I came to the conclusion that the issue was my naming convention in the baking process. I had forgotten to rename the low poly suffix to _ID from _low. Once I changed this it finally baked onto the objects and I was able to move forward. Shown below is my progress texturing.


One of the main problems I had after the texturing process was simply being able to import my models and textures into Unity. Although I had created my environment already and had it ready to just insert my models and textures for the finishing touches, for whatever reason Unity was not accepting them. I'd receive an error message shown below alongside my scene. (Failed to import package with error: Couldn't Decompress package)


Aside from not being able to figure out this error, I'd say that I was happy with the results of the look I was trying to achieve with my tower and the toppers. Unfortunately I couldn't showcase them within my Unity scene but I'm sure there is a simple fix to this error that I will try and figure out in order to complete the project on my own. 





Comments